This chicken fajitas recipe is one of our all-time favourites to cook at home. It’s simple, tasty and can be a really healthy meal.
Supermarket aisles are full of fajita kits, with sachets of seasoning and factory-made salsas. It might seem an easy option, but making your own seasoning is a breeze and tastes so much better! Once you get the hang of the process, you can tailor the mix to your own taste every time.
Serves 2 or 4 (1 wrap each or 2 wraps each)
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped minced
1/2 red pepper sliced
100g mushrooms sliced
300g chicken breast sliced
1 tomato chopped
2 tsps smoked paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground corriander
Sprinkle of garlic salt
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Salt and pepper
4 tortilla wraps to serve
Extra ingredients for serving:
Dollop per wrap of Sour cream or Creme fraiche
- Add a glug of olive oil to a large, deep frying pan and add the sliced onion and garlic. Fry on high heat until they start to brown and caramelise.
- Add the sliced chicken breast, along with all of the dried spices and salt and pepper.
- Keep stirring the mixture, making sure the chicken is seared on all sides.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and red pepper and continue to cook.
- Once the peppers have begun to soften, add the chopped tomato and mix.
- Once all of the ingredients are cooked through, remove from the heat and serve with tortilla wraps.
For the ultimate fajita, we like to add a few extras bits when creating our wraps. Start with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche, and spread over the wrap. Then add some lettuce leaves before spooning on the fajita mix. Top the hot fajita mix with grated cheddar cheese, jalapeños and a spoon or two of homemade guacamole and a small sprinkle of chopped coriander. – You’re welcome.