The secret blend of herbs and spices, the stuff of legend. It may be impossible to create an exact replica of the kernels secret recipe but making your own version can be just as good if not better!
Being in a nationwide lockdown, you may be missing your favourite fast-food restaurants. If you are craving some crispy, spicy, moist chicken look no further than our perfect southern fried chicken recipe.
Serves 2 (4 legs each)
1/2Kg chicken drumsticks
300g self raising flour
1tsp dried basil
2 tsp friend oregano
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp chilli flakes
1tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1tsp reggae reggae seasoning (optional)
80g porridge oats
- Whisk together the egg and milk in a bowl.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in the egg and milk mixture, making sure to coat all of the chicken and leave to one side.
- Thoroughly combine all of the dry ingredients apart from the oats in a separate bowl.
- One by one, take the chicken drumsticks out of the egg mixture, coat them in the flour mix and place on a separate plate.
- Once all of the drumsticks are coated, allow to rest for around 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the oats to the remaining flour mixture before re-dipping the chicken, firstly back in the egg mixture and then back into the flour and oats. Set the drumsticks aside making sure they don’t touch each other.
- In a deep saucepan heat enough vegetable oil to cover the height of the chicken laid flat (around 5cm).
- Once the oil is hot, carefully place the chicken into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes before turning over cooking for a further 2-3 minutes. (cook in batches).
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a wire rack above an oven tray to allow any excess oil to drip off while you fry the remaining drumsticks.
- Once all of the chicken has been fried and placed on the wire rack, bake the chicken in a pre-heated oven at 200°c for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
We love this delicious southern fried chicken recipe with a fresh batch of potato wedges and a big bowl of chicken gravy to dip the drumsticks KFC style!
Once you have mastered the technique you can get creative with the spice mix and tweak the blend to however you see fit. Fancy more heat? Add more chilli flakes and cayenne pepper! The world is your drumstick.