This week on Two Souls One Spoon we are taking you to Cambodia with a traditional Khmer dish, Beef Lok Lak.
Country of origin: Cambodia
Serves 4 with white rice.
For the Lot Lak Marinade
120ml light soy sauce
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp of what sugar
2 tsp fish sauce
4 garlic cloves chopped
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp oyster sauce
For the dipping sauce
2 limes juiced
4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fish sauce
For the salad
4 romaine lettuce leaves, washed
4 tomatoes, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1/4 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Slice the beef steaks into thin strips and add to a bowl, mix together with all of the ingredients for the marinade. Set the beef in the fridge to marinate for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Whilst the beef is marinading prepare the dipping sauce by combining all the of the ingredients into a small bowl and mixing well.
- Once the beef has had time to marinate, heat a glug of oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Add the beef strips along with the marinade to the pan and fry for around 8 minutes until the beef has cooked through and the sauce has become rich and sticky.
- Prepare the plate by placing the lettuce leaf on the plate and top with the sliced onion tomato and cucumber, this will act as a base for your beef loc law mixture.
- Serve the beef lok lak on top of the salad, along with the dipping sauce in a side dish and a portion of white rice.