This week on Two Souls One Spoon we are taking you down under with this Aussie pub classic, Chicken Parmi.
Glug of olive oil
1/2 a lemon zest
75g panko bread crumbs
2 chicken breasts
salt and pepper
1 small onion
2 garlic cloves
1tsp dried basil
1/2 mozzarella ball
fresh basil leaves to garnish
50g of plain flour
For the wedges
3 medium potatoes
salt and pepper
glug of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan oven.
- Cut the potatoes into wedges leaving the skins on.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the potatoes with the oil, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Once coated, place on a baking tray and distribute evenly. Try not to let the wedges touch each other.
- Place into the oven on the middle shelf for 30 minutes.
- Combine the bread crumbs, lemon zest, parmesan, and oregano into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Crack the egg into a second bowl and whisk
- In a third bowl, add 50g of plain flour.
- Proceed to dip each chicken breast into each bowl starting with the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs to achieve an even coating.
- Once coated, place the chicken breasts to one side and heat a glug of olive oil in a frying pan.
- Once the oil is hot gently add the chicken breasts and cook for 4 minutes each side until golden brown.
- When the chicken has browned. place on a baking tray and cooking in the oven with the wedges at 180°C for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Whilst the chicken is in the oven, chop the onion and gently fry in a small pan along with the crushed garlic cloves.
- Then add the tomato passata and dried basil and leave to simmer for a few minutes.
- When the chicken is out of the oven, pour over the tomato mixture and add thin slices of mozzarella on top, along with fresh basil leaves before placing under a preheated grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Serve immediately with the crispy wedges and a side salad.