This Spanish olive bread recipe is perfect with a Gambas Pil Pil. We cooked it in Episode 2 of Two Souls One Spoon…
Makes 1 loaf
Country of origin: Spain
425g bread flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp dried yeast
350ml warm water
1 tsp salt
Glug of olive oil
100g Spanish olives
- Add 1 tsp dried yeast to 350ml of warm water, cover with cling film and leave to activate for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix 425g of bread flour with 1tsp salt.
- After 5 minutes, add the water and yeast mixture to the flour and combine. You’ll need to get your flour-coated hands in to bind it all together properly.
- Dust the surface and kneed the dough for a few minutes, eventually making into a ball.
- Add a glug of olive oil to a clean bowl, and rotate to coat the sides of the bowl.
- Put dough into oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise at room temperature for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, preheat the oven to 200° fan, and roughly chop 100g of olives.
- Put a dutch oven into the oven without the lid to preheat.
- Meanwhile, flour the surface, flatten the dough and slowly add the chopped olives while folding them in.
- Make dough into a ball, put back in the bowl, cling film and leave for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the dough should have re-risen. Place it into the preheated dutch oven, put the lid on and bake at 200° fan for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take the lid off the dutch oven and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- Leave to cool before serving. Or, follow our gambas pil pil recipe in the meantime!