This Indonesian Vegetable Salad with Peanut Dressing is perfect served alongside Roasted Chicken in Banana Leaf. We made both recipes on Two Souls One Spoon…
100g cabbage, finely sliced
100g green beans
Glug of sunflower oil (to fry peanuts)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
10g galangal, peeled and finely chopped
2 birds eye chillies, sliced
2 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soya sauce)
20g palm sugar
2 tbsp peanuts, crushed
2 tbsp fried crispy onions
75g rice per person
- Fry 250g peanuts in a glug of hot sunflower oil until lightly browned. Remove the peanuts from the pan, reserving the oil and put the peanuts in the fridge to cool.
- To start the vegetable salad, pour boiling water into a saucepan and add salt. Then add the beans and blanch for 1 minute, before adding the cabbage for another minute.
- Next add the spinach and beansprouts, blanching all together for a further 90 seconds before taking off the heat, draining and immersing in an ice bath.
- For the peanut sauce, take the peanuts out of the fridge and combine them in a food processor with all other ingredients except for the water.
- When the mixture is finely ground, gradually add water while blitzing until you reach a desired sauce consistency.
- Combine drained vegetables in a bowl with as much peanut sauce as you want. Cover the bowl and put in the fridge until chicken is ready to be served.
- Garnish salad with crushed peanuts and rice with crispy fried onions.